Attached is the study guide and the 7 questions and links are listed below for this assignment.
Consider slavery as a legal system, and how it relates to the U.S. Constitution (1789). Also, consider why and how slavery clauses/rules/regulations ended up in the U.S. Constitution.
In essay format (a fully developed paragraph per answer with resource details/support):
1. In your own words, explain all three of the slavery clauses/rules/regulations stated in the U.S. Constitution (article I:sect.2#1;article I,sect.9,#1;article IV,sect.2,#3).
2. How was the 3/5 clause (Article I: Section 2, #1) a compromise between southern “slave labor” states and northern “free-labor” states?
3. How was forbidding congress from passing any law that would end importing enslaved persons prior to 1808, a compromise between southern “slave labor” states and northern “free-labor” states?
4. Was the “fugitive slave” regulation a compromise between the south and north?
5. Why do you think the U.S. Constitution does not mention the words “slave” or “Blacks” even when obviously making these 3 references to the enslaved population?
6. What is your new understanding of enslavement in the U.S. as a LEGAL system?
7. After engaging the relevant resources, what are you left wondering about; what specifically in the resource spurred/caused your wonderment? (Mandatory!)